The Mental Health Support Workers Training Grant is funded by the Ministry of Health to support training costs. Trainees enrolled in a certificate in Mental Health (details listed below) can receive a maximum of $2,000 and diploma trainees can receive up to a maximum of $2,500. All payments are subject to availability.
Fill out the Mental_Health_Grant_Application
If you need assistance or any further information please contact us.
To qualify for the grant, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be currently enrolled in an NZQA approved and registered Certificate or Diploma when it relates to Mental Health and Addiction Support, for the following qualifications:
- New Zealand Certificate in Health & Wellbeing (Level 4) when it relates to Mental Health and Addiction Support
- New Zealand Certificate in Health & Wellbeing (Peer Support) (Level 4)
- New Zealand Diploma in Health and Wellbeing (Level 5)
- New Zealand Diploma in Business (Leadership and Management) (Level 5)*
- New Zealand Diploma in Addiction Studies (Applied) (Level 6)
- New Zealand Diploma in Business (Leadership and Management) (Level 6)*
- Be employed (paid or volunteer) or on placement in a mental health service funded by the District Health Board (DHB) and/or Ministry of Health (MOH).
- Be in a role that is relevant to mental health support work.
- Be in a role that is specifically focused on consumer care for a minimum of 200 hours within the duration of the programme. NZ Diplomas in Leadership and Management are exempt from this requirement.
- Have an employer who is supportive of your application for a training grant.
- Not have your tuition fees paid by other benefits or other scholarships (excluding student loans).
NB: Where employers have funded the training, employees are able to apply for the grant (if other criteria are met) and nominate that their employer receives the grant in reimbursement.
- Be a New Zealand citizen or New Zealand permanent resident and provide photocopied evidence.
*Applicants enrolled in the New Zealand Diploma in Business (Leadership and Management) Level 5 and 6 must be already working in a leadership and management role with a Mental Health and Addiction service provider. A placement in a mental health service provider is not sufficient.