In June 2020 the Government announced details around the $320m Targeted Training and Apprenticeships Fund (TTAF), just one part of the $1.6b Trades and Apprenticeships training package recently announced in the 2020 Budget. This is an exciting development, and is very good news for our sectors. The Government also announced the Apprenticeship Boost (a wage subsidy for new and existing apprentices). More details are available here
Our Chief Executive Jane Wenman, welcomes the announcement.
“The health and wellbeing sectors continue to face workforce shortage challenges, brought about by an ageing and increasingly diverse population, and an associated ageing workforce in many areas. This is being exacerbated by COVID-19 related immigration restrictions. Any Government funding that will support new people into the sector, and remove any barriers to workforce development is welcomed.”
- The fund removes costs for eligible programmes in targeted areas for learners, apprentices and employers, through to December 2022. The fund is targeted towards particular industry skill needs where demand from employers for these skills will continue to be strong, or is expected to grow, during New Zealand’s recovery period from the impacts of COVID-19.
- Many of our sectors have been included as targeted areas, with “Community support, including youth work, care for elderly, counselling and community health, including mental health and addiction support” specifically highlighted.
- We can confirm that effective from 1 July 2020, there is no enrolment cost for the following qualifications:
- All apprenticeship programmes
- NZ Certificate in Health & Wellbeing Level 2 & Level 3
- NZ Certificate in Youth Work Level 3 & Level 4
- NZ Certificate in Health & Wellbeing Level 4, Advanced Support
- NZ Certificate in Pest Operations Level 3, Urban Pest Control
- New Zealand Diploma in Health and Wellbeing (Level 5) Applied Practice
- and the following specialised programme:
- Dementia LCP (Limited Credit Programme) Level 4
- We can also confirm that effective from 1 January 2021, there is no enrolment cost for the following qualifications:
- NZ Certificate in Cleaning Level 2 & Level 3
While the funding is for the period through to December 2022, the list of eligible qualifications and programmes may change over this period, so we cannot assume that the above qualifications and programmes will be covered for this entire period.
Please refer to the following information relating to the Code of Good Practice for NZ Apprenticeships and expectations around literacy and numeracy:
Last updated 26 January 2021