Good Skills is the suite of Gateway programmes Careerforce has developed which allows students to experience the diverse opportunities available to them, and potentially forge their career.
Who would enjoy Good Skills?
The health and wellbeing sectors presents a variety of exciting career opportunities for school leavers. These include:
- disability, mental health or aged care support work.
- youth work.
- diversional therapy or rehabilitation assistance.
- social services work or employment support.
- many more…
These careers are ideal for students who want to have rewarding career pathways through:
- helping others reach their full potential and lead independent lives.
- making a difference in people’s lives.
- supporting and caring for the aged and the vulnerable.
- following their passion.
Good Skills Packages
Our programmes will help your students gain the confidence to make informed decisions on their career pathways, and provide a smooth transition from school to work.
Enrolment into any of our packages includes the following:
- Helping schools identify pathways for their students so that a student’s programme is tailored to their interests.
- Assistance to find a suitable work placement where possible.
- Providing access to e-learning and resource library containing comprehensive learning and assessment resources online or paper-based.
- Arranging for a Careerforce registered assessor to assess and report the unit standard(s) completion.
- Reporting the unit standard achievement to NZQA.
- Requesting a certificate from NZQA if a student completes a full New Zealand Certificate.
Find out more by downloading our Good Skills booklet. It also features in-demand careers to share with your students.
Memorandum of Understanding – All schools are required to complete a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Careerforce prior to commencement of any programme. The MoU records each party’s obligations when placing a student into industry-based learning, including arrangements for assessment and reporting results to NZQA. Careerforce will assist to help find an industry placement if required, but cannot guarantee placements. Call 0800 277 486 for an MoU.
If you have students who wish to participate in a Careerforce Gateway programme, please complete this form.
Download Gateway Training Agreement
Youth in Health and Wellbeing Careers Events 2021
With support from the Ministry of Education, Careerforce brought together high school students and employers for a series of career exploration events throughout the country.
Students participated in workshops, engaged with employers and heard from inspiring speakers who have made a career in health and wellbeing.
Watch the video from our Wellington health and wellbeing careers event in May.