Qualification and Programme Overview
This New Zealand Apprenticeship programme is designed to recognise and enhance the skills of new and experienced Diversional Therapists and those in roles including: Recreational Therapists, Motivation Therapists, Activity Co-ordinators, and Occupational Therapy Aides.
Upon completion, Diversional Therapists will meet the qualification and competency requirement to become registered with the New Zealand Society of Diversional Therapists.
The programme includes developing the following core competencies:
- Developing client-centred meaningful programmes to improve wellbeing.
- Creating quality care plans for a variety of individual and groups.
- Understanding and defining the role of diversional therapy practice.
- Engaging and communicating with people, family and/or whānau who are accessing social and community services in a manner which respects their socio-cultural identity, experiences and self-knowledge.
- Developing relationships and supporting the achievement of intended outcomes;
demonstrating a knowledge of kawa and tikanga and the ability to relate the unique place Māori have as tangata whenua in Aotearoa in their role.
- Understanding New Zealand’s health and wellbeing challenges and the impact on their role.
- Displaying self-awareness, reflective practice and personal leadership in the workplace.
- Actively contributing to a culture of professionalism, safety and quality in your workplace.
- Gaining an in-depth knowledge of a condition, impairment, situation or issue and applying the new knowledge to support clients.
Watch the short video to see why Pauline loves her role and her apprenticeship learning journey
How is this programme delivered?
This Careerforce apprenticeship is a well supported, workplace training programme. Whilst the learning at this level is self directed, a team of dedicated Apprenticeship Advisors provide pastoral care and support.
How long is the programme?
The programme should take between 18 and 24 months.
What does this programme cost?
Enrolment is this programme is FREE.
* This programme presently has free enrolment via the Targeted Training and Apprenticeships Fund (TTAF)
Funding to support your business
Employers may also qualify for the Apprenticeship Boost which provides a wage subsidy for new and existing apprentices in their first two years of training, encouraging employers to retain their current apprentices, and to take on new apprentices. Find out more
Visit our Apprenticeship pages to learn more about health and wellbeing apprenticeships.