Qualification and Programme Overview
This New Zealand Apprenticeship programme is designed to recognise and enhance the skills of new and experienced Diversional Therapists and those in roles including: Recreational Therapists, Motivation Therapists, Activity Co-ordinators, and Occupational Therapy Aides.
Upon completion, Diversional Therapists will meet the qualification and competency requirement to become registered with the New Zealand Society of Diversional Therapists.
The programme includes developing the following core competencies:
- developing client-centred meaningful programmes to improve wellbeing;
- creating quality care plans for a variety of individual and groups;
- understanding and defining the role of diversional therapy practice;
- engaging and communicating with people, family and/or whānau who are accessing social and community services in a manner which respects their socio-cultural identity, experiences and self-knowledge;
- developing relationships and supporting the achievement of intended outcomes;
- demonstrating a knowledge of kawa and tikanga and the ability to relate the unique place Māori have as tangata whenua in Aotearoa in their role;
- understanding New Zealand’s health and wellbeing challenges and the impact on their role;
- displaying self-awareness, reflective practice and personal leadership in the workplace;
- actively contributing to a culture of professionalism, safety and quality in your workplace; and
- gaining an in-depth knowledge of a condition, impairment, situation or issue and applying the new knowledge to support clients.
Visit our Apprenticeship pages to learn more about health and wellbeing apprenticeships.
Learn more about apprenticeships
* This programme presently has free enrolment via the Targeted Training and Apprenticeships Fund (TTAF)
To enrol in the Apprenticeship in Health and Wellbeing (Level 4) (Social and Community Services) Community Facilitation strand specialising in Diversional Therapy, please call 0800 277 486, email: email@example.com or speak to your local Careerforce Workplace Advisor
Contact Us Now