As a result of recognition from the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) of the need for this LCP programme, Careerforce is able to continue to offer the Dementia LCP. Trainees should aim to complete the programme within 6 months (from their start date).
This Limited Credit Programme (LCP) consists of four unit standards and focuses on the essential skills, knowledge and attitudes required to support a person with dementia in a residential facility.
This programme supports caregivers working in or entering the dementia residential field and represents the essential knowledge and skills required for working with residents affected by dementia. Learning and assessment for this programme occurs in the workplace.
The Dementia LCP covers the following topics:
- knowledge of dementia and communicating with a person with dementia.
- providing person-centred care to a person living with dementia.
- knowledge of the effects of dementia and how to manage them.
- supporting a person with dementia when their behaviour presents challenges.
Average duration – 6 months
$110 FREE ENROLMENT*
To enrol in the Dementia LCP, the trainee must meet the following requirements:
- be employed as a support worker in a health, disability or aged support organisation.
- have one of the following residency statuses:
- New Zealand citizen (including Cook Islands, Niue and Tokelau citizens).
- New Zealand permanent resident.
- New Zealand work permit/work visa.
- Australian citizen.
- hold refugee status in New Zealand.
* This programme presently has free enrolment via the Targeted Training and Apprenticeships Fund (TTAF)