Last updated: 29 October 2019
In February, Minister Chris Hipkins announced proposed sweeping reforms to the entire vocational education system, aimed at creating a stronger, more unified, and sustainable vocational education system.
In August, and following a period of public consultation, these reforms were largely confirmed to proceed.
- Industry Training Organisations (11) will be disestablished
- The 16 Institutes of Technology and Polytechnics (ITPs) will be merged into a single NZ Institute of Skills and Technology (NZIST), and will assume responsibility for supporting workplace-based (on-job) training
- Between 4 – 7 Workforce Development Councils (WDCs) will be established, and will assume responsibility for skills leadership and standard setting
- Unified funding system, that funds all provider-based education and all industry training (levels 2-7)
These reforms represent a generational change, and their implementation is intentionally over a long timeframe to minimise disruption, and ensure success of the new system.
- April 2020 – legislation passed, NZIST created (with ITP’s becoming subsidiaries), first WDC established
- June 2021 – all WDCs established and operational
- Dec 2022 – transition of workplace-based training from ITOs to NZIST (or other providers) completed
To support these timelines, education officials’ initial priority is around determining the shape and functions of WDCs, with the focus then shifting to transition arrangements.
Minister Hipkins has highlighted on many occasions that these new Workforce Development Councils must be industry led, and also provided reassurance that workplace-based learning will absolutely continue in the new system, and would like to see it expand.
Establishment of Workforce Development Councils (WDCs)
Between 16 and 22 October, we ran stakeholder consultation meetings and webinars to gather feedback on how WDCs could work with industry, its coverage, functions and governance.
If you missed the meetings, please find the workshop presentation and webinar recording below.
Watch the webinar recording: https://vimeo.com/368180625
Summary of the feedback from workshops on the coverage and governance options for Workforce Development Councils
For more information about the reforms, go to https://conversation.education.govt.nz/
You may also email email@example.com for any questions or feedback.