Qualification and Programme Overview
This qualification aims to develop the skills and knowledge required for hearing screening of babies in the healthcare services.
The programme includes both developing and/or recognising the following competencies in your staff:
- Knowledge of causes of hearing loss in babies and risk factors for congenital and delayed hearing loss.
- Knowledge of the Universal Newborn Hearing Screening and Early Intervention Programme (UNHSEIP).
- Knowledge of the use and maintenance of screening equipment.
- Carrying out newborn hearing screening for the UNHSEIP.
- Knowledge of referral and habilitation for the UNHSEIP.
- Recognising and responding to vulnerability and abuse.
- Demonstrating professional and ethical behaviour.
- Knowledge of culturally safe principles for Māori, Pasifika or other cultures.
- Describing community values and attitudes and their impact on people with disabilities.
* This programme presently has free enrolment via the Targeted Training and Apprenticeships Fund (TTAF)