Do you have a Degree or diploma in Nursing from the Philippines, India, South Africa, Australia or the United Kingdom?
Employees with a nursing qualification from one of these countries have equivalency to the New Zealand Certificate in Health and Wellbeing (Level 3) for pay equity purposes.
To be considered as equivalent to the New Zealand Certificate in Health and Wellbeing (Advanced Support) L4 you will need to meet the mandatory requirement whereby graduates must consider, respect and honour the history of Māori as tangata whenua by embedding a commitment to bicultural principles. To do this you have the following two options:
Complete the assessments in the following unit standards:
- (28989) Apply strategies to support cultural diversity and
- (28543) Describe culturally safe Māori operating principles and values and their application in a health or wellbeing setting; or;
Provide evidence of having undertaken learning and assessment in the history of Māori as tangata whenua through the completion of other learning and assessment. An example of this could be when someone has completed another qualification within New Zealand which covers learning and assessment in the history of Māori as tangata whenua such as:
- NZ Ministry of Health’s Certificate of Achievement in Foundations in Cultural Competency
- Hauora Tangata: Māori Health Foundations – Massey University
- Diploma in Health Services Management – Level 7 – NTEC/NIE/Aspire2
- NZ Certificate of Public Health and Health Promotion – Level 5 – Ringa Atawhai Maturanga Ltd
- Post Graduate Diploma in Health Science – EIT
- Diploma in Management (Healthcare) Level 7, (IANZ/EDENZ) (EDENZ needs DMH701 Managing Organisational Change and Diversity (level 7, 20 credits)
- Diploma in Healthcare Studies (Level 5) (AGI) subject to transcript
- Diploma in Management Level 7 (EDENZ) needs either BUS330 Health Services Management (Level 7, 30 credits) OR MAN350 Professional Development (Level 7, 30 credits)
- Diploma in Business Level 7, (EDENZ) needs either BUS330 Health Services Management (Level 7, 30 credits) OR MAN350 Professional Development (Level 7, 30 credits)
- Graduate Diploma in Applied Management (Health) (Toi Ohomai) with HLTH7101 Professional Aspects of Health Care (Level 7, 15 credits)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management (Health) (Toi Ohomai)
- Waiariki Institute of Technology NURS6461 Kawa Whakaruruhau: Cultural Safety in Aotearoa/New Zealand
- Diploma in Health Services Management Level 7 ** (Auckland Goldstar Institute/AGI) with DHSM 702 Health and Diversity (Level 7, 15 credits)
- Diploma in Health Psychology Hauora Hinengaro (Level 5) – Wellington Institute of Technology
- Mauri Ora Health Education Research – Foundations in Cultural Competency
- Mauri Ora Health Education Research – Foundations Course on Healthcare and the Treaty of Waitangi
- Mauri Ora Health Education Research – Foundations Course on Māori Healthcare and the Treaty of Waitangi
- Your official NZQA Record of Achievement shows unit standards 1304 and 6422; or unit standard 23380.
Note: This is not a formal qualification therefore no certificate will be awarded.
The completion of either of these options will mean the holder is deemed to be equivalent to Level 4 for pay equity purposes.
The following qualifications alongside a nursing qualification from overseas do not give the applicant eligibility for Level 4.
- Diploma in Business (level 7) (EDENZ/Queens Academic Group) (but refer exception EDENZ)
- Diploma in Business Management (level 7) specialisation in Healthcare Management (Queens Academic Group)
- Diploma in Business (Healthcare Management) (Level 7) (Queens Academic Group OR International College of Auckland)
- Diploma in Management (Health Services) (level 5) (EDENZ)
- Diploma in Health (Advanced) (Applied Management) (L7) (NIE/NZIE/Kauri Academy/Cornell) (Unless 701 Health Sector Governance and Planning)
All other international care and support qualifications
A list of other international qualifications that have been assessed for pay equity purposes are available below:
Download International qualification equivalencies for pay equity
If you can’t find your qualification listed, please contact us using the form below:
Once your application has been submitted you will receive an automated response from us confirming receipt. If you do not receive an email, please contact us on 0800 277 486 and ask for the Pay Equity Team. They will then check that your application has been successfully received.