Qualification and programme overview
This qualification is delivered as an apprenticeship that is well-supported and resourced with a team of Apprenticeship Advisors providing pastoral care and support.
The Apprenticeship in Peer Support is designed to provide specific skills, knowledge and attributes to support people, family and whānau with their aspirations as a peer support worker. The underpinning philosophy of the programme is to build a person-centred, critical thinking workforce.
The Peer Support programme includes developing the following core competencies:
- Understanding of the evolution of peer work and the peer work role, and peer work practices in Aotearoa.
- Demonstrating a knowledge of kawa and tikanga and the ability to relate the unique place Māori have as tangata whenua in Aotearoa in their role.
- Displaying self-awareness, reflective practice and personal leadership in the workplace.
- Actively contributing to a culture of professionalism, safety and quality in the workplace.
- Establishing a purposeful relationship with a person accessing support from a peer worker.
How is this programme delivered?
This Careerforce apprenticeship is a well supported, workplace training programme. Whilst the learning at this level is self directed, a team of dedicated Apprenticeship Advisors provide pastoral care and support.
How long is the programme?
The programme should take between 18 and 24 months.
What does this programme cost?
Enrolment is this programme is FREE.
* This programme presently has free enrolment via the Targeted Training and Apprenticeships Fund (TTAF)
Funding to support your business
Employers may also qualify for the Apprenticeship Boost which provides a wage subsidy for new and existing apprentices in their first two years of training, encouraging employers to retain their current apprentices, and to take on new apprentices. Find out more
Suitability criteria for programme entry
Please review the criteria for entry into this programme.
Do you need more information?
Visit our Apprenticeship pages to learn more about health and wellbeing apprenticeships.